Wednesday 23 November 2016

Bike trip to Lepakshi and Avalabetta - 19th November 2016

Lepakshi has been alluring me for a long time, and I decided to visit it on a free weekend, on my Activa. Round trip would be approx 250 kms, and I was waiting for a chance to make it. And when I got a free Saturday, I made a decision to go all by myself, and then Guru, my friend, was stubborn to not let me go alone, and he convinced me to cover even Avalabetta and Gudibande if I went with him. I had to accept, since he wouldn't listen to me.

We started at Hebbal junction at 12:20 PM. (Both of us had work in bank and we had to finish it and then leave) Giving a break of about half an hour for lunch near the airport, in an hotel where Idly vada was just too tasty, we resumed our drive to Lepakshi again without wasting much time.

The drive was good as always, reaching a speed of 126 kmph :-P We reached the temple at 2:20 PM. The temple was a little crowded since it was a weekend. Though it was peak noon, it was cool inside the temple- thanks to those huge stones. Though not very huge, the temple is good, but it hasn't been maintained that well. There are paintings on all the ceilings, and most of them are worn out. Guru also showed me the floating pillar (which otherwise I would have missed). We then went and sat in the shade for a few minutes before moving to our ext destination. If we had time, I'm sure i would have taken a nap for a while there, since it was cool enough and soothing. (No pics taken at Lepakshi)

We started again, realizing we had 2 more places to cover. We switched on the map, and started toward Avalabetta. I said him to chuck the plan of Gudibande, since it didn't look that interesting, and also because of the shortage of time. We passed right in front of Gudibande fort, and it looked interesting. But I thought of visiting it some other time, and said Guru to continue without stopping. We drove past and reached the hilltop at around 5 PM.

I had Avalabetta on my list for a very long time, and was very fascinated seeing the pictures. Guru said me that the entry has been banned recently, and he wasn't sure of the news. When we reached there, the disappointment was waiting. It was indeed banned since 15 days. Reason being, a girl fell from a rock for about 25 feet and hurt herself badly, and while taking her to hospital, she breath her last. Since then, the entry to the temple is banned. That moment was very disappointing for me, since I was missing the chance to visit that place in just a matter of 15 days!

Now the interesting part starts: Me and Guru started convincing the forest guard, but he was stubborn and wouldn't listen. But Guru didn't give up, He built a story that he was leaving the town in the coming week and wouldn't come back to this place, and that I had never seen it at all, and requested that at least he let me go see it. After a few minutes of this story narration, knowing that we wouldn't give up, he agreed to let us, but only after a few more visitors who were there around left. We waited for another 10 minutes and we were let to go.

After a climb of about 10 minutes, we reached the view point where a lot of DP's have been clicked. The moment I saw it, I was awestruck, and also felt bad that this place was no more accessible to public. That place was just wow!! The projection of the rock was something unnatural and different. It kinda looked artificial. I went and sat there and got a few pics. I wanted to sit there for a while, but due to lack of time and also remembering the guard's warning to come as soon as possible, we started back towards the temple at the peak.








The beautiful place where you get a beautiful view!

Another climb of about 10 minutes, we were at the top. No wait, a little down to top. Behind the temple, there was a small rock and the peak of that rock was the highest point. To reach there, you have to climb the rock which was carved lightly on the edge and on the side to support your leg and hand, as you climb. At the first sight, the climb looked easy, but when you take a closer look, the climb is a little risky and a little scary too. I started to climb, and it was pretty tricky. You need to be careful, and even a small mistake can cost you big. I made it to the '5 feet below top' point, and getting on that last small rock was too risky and I didn't go there. Guru also climbed after me. I again wanted to stay here for a while but... :(

Climbing down


Anyway, I was just too satisfied and excited that I got to see it finally!! I was just so lucky to have gotten here in spite of the ban. I thanked Guru a lot- without him I would have missed something big. First Guru climbed down, showing me how to actually climb down and then I followed. Climbing up and down this rock was an awesome experience, though it takes a very short time. We then ran down towards the base where we had parked our vehicle.

Reflection in a small pond near the rock point

We thanked the guard and started the drive. It was close to 6, and the combination of cool breeze, dusk light and country side road was just awesome. It was another 20 minutes till we reached the highway. We decided to stop again near the same hotel for dinner and then start the final stretch of the drive. We came to the hotel around 7 PM, and Masala Dosa and Hot Coffee was a perfect meal. We started again, taking another 25 minutes to reach the Hebbal junction, from where we departed in different directions to our home.

In a nutshell, It was a great drive of about 250 kms for the day. It was close to 8 when I started from Hebbal junction, and about 8:45 when I reached home. The day was awesome, and all credits goes to Guru- Thanks a lot dude!!! :)


1 comment:

  1. Lovely post about your trip to lepakshi. Thanks for sharing about this wonderful post in this blog. Loved to read about this place. If anyone want to travel this place, then book your bus tickets in Online Bus Ticket Booking portal.

    ReplyDelete